Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |    Facebook  Twitter
The Three Years of Experience in Teaching or Research for EB-1B Application

Hi William,

I received my PhD degree last year, and now working as a research scientist for a large company. I want to apply for my Green Card in the category of EB1 Outstanding Professor or Researcher. How could I prove my "at least three years of experience in teaching and/or research"? Thank you very much.


For EB1 Outstanding Professor or Researcher (EB-1B) petition, the documentation should be submitted to USCIS to prove that the alien beneficiary is an internationally recognized outstanding professor or researcher. The petition should also establish that the alien beneficiary has three years of research or teaching experience in the academic field.

If the experience was gained while pursuing the advanced degree required for the offered position, such experience must be proven to be outstanding. Therefore, experience in teaching or research while working on an advanced degree will be acceptable by USCIS only if the alien has acquired the degree, and if the teaching duties were such that he or she had full responsibility for the class taught, or if the research conducted toward the degree has been recognized within the academic field as outstanding.

The EB1 Outstanding Professor or Researcher regulations specify that evidence of teaching or research experience should be in the form of letters from current or former employers, and should include the name, address, and title of the writer, and a specific description of the duties performed by the foreign national.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com