Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |    Facebook  Twitter
The Procedure to Get Green Card after the Petition is Approved but I am outside U.S.?

Hi William,

I have filed my Form I-140 petition. What is the procedure for me to get my Green Card after the petition is approved if I am outside of the U.S.?


Consular processing is a means through which you may apply for an immigrant visa after your Form I-140 petition is approved at a U.S. consulate overseas.

If your petition is approved and you are not already in the U.S., the USCIS will send your approved petition to the Department of State National Visa Center. The National Visa Center will send you a notice of receipt. When visa numbers are available or about to become available for your classification, the National Visa Center will send you another notice indicating when you should submit immigrant visa processing fees and supporting documentation.

Supporting documentation may include the original Notice of Approval; a copy of your filed Form I-140 petition; Notice of Receipt; a valid passport; criminal history, police, military, or prison records; birth certificate; marriage certificate; and birth certificates of children.

When fees and supporting documentation have been received, the National Visa Center will send you a packet of forms and instructions. Upon submission of those forms, the National Visa Center will send you an appointment letter including instructions for the medical exam and indicating when you must appear at a designated U.S. consulate for an interview. After the interview, the consular office will review your application and either grant your visa or request the USCIS to reconsider or revoke your petition.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com