Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
The H-1B Amendment For Employment Relocation

Hi William,

I am a system engineer in a network design and administration consulting company. My H-1B was approved half year ago at city A, but now I need to work for a customer at city B. Do I need to file a H-1B amendment for my employment relocation?


According to USCIS, an employer does not have to file a H-1B amendment when they relocate employees to other job sites if the Labor Condition Application (LCA) notice was posted and approved before the relocation, which gives the freedom for the employer to move around their employees without going through the H-1B amendment procedure. However, in the past, people are very cautious to file a H-1B amendment in this situation.

There are some circumstances where your employer would simply need to file to have the current petition amended. These include a change in job duties, a significant salary increase, or a change in title. In these instances, as long as the position is still considered a specialty occupation that requires a bachelor’s degree or higher, you should just need to have your petition amended.

Though the USCIS has not stated specific regulation for
change in job location, it is highly advised to file an H-1B amendment when there is a change of the employee’s work location. The H-1B amendment must always be filed for any ‘material changes’ in the terms and conditions of employment. It would seem that the USCIS considers a change in location as a material change that requires an amendment. Thus, the safe course of action is to file the H-1B amendment for location change.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com