Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Changing Employer for Laid Off H-1B Employees With Advance Notice

Hi William:

I am an employee in H-1B status for 2 years,  and I received advance notice this week that I will be laid off within one month. Is it possible that I can change employer?


To change employer without having to depart the United States, you need to find an U.S. employer to file USCIS Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker) for you, prior to being laid off.

The Form I-129 petition should be filed prior to the termination of your job, and you must have been maintaining valid H-1B status.  If the I-129 petition is filed after your dismissal, you may have to return overseas to process your H-1B visa for the new employer.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com