Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
If I Am Being Laid Off, Can I Apply for Some Other Status?

Hi William:

Both my husband and me are in H-1B status. If I am being laid off, can I apply for some other status? and what are other options?


In certain circumstances, it may be possible to apply for another status. There are a number of different options. Depending on the individual circumstances, you may qualify for another category. The most direct option, if it is available, would be as a dependant of your spouse, and you can change to H-4 status.

Other option is to apply for student status (F-1), if you wish to return to school to further educations. This can be a good option, as people often choose to enhance their skills during difficult economic times. There are those who may choose to depart the U.S. and look for options in their home countries or elsewhere. These individuals may be eligible to apply for changes of status to tourist (B-2) in order to wrap up their affairs in the United States.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com