Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Can I Use My PhD Time Counting towards
the 3-Year Experience for  EB1-OR Application?

Hi William,

I am an Assistant Professor at a University, and I joined it three years ago. My employer submitted my I-140 under EB1-OR in December of last year. 

We received an RFE asking us to show three years experience in research and teaching. Will the three years be counted as of the current date? Can I use my PhD time counting towards the three year experience? Thanks in advance!


The EB1-OR application needs prior experience, and the three years experience will be counted from the day of your EB1-OR I-140 filling. 

You can use your PhD research towards the three years experience, if it contributed towards your outstanding accomplishments in the field. You can give an effective RFE reply by showing your Ph.D. work as outstanding, such as how many papers you were published during your Ph.D study and the citation number.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com