Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |    Facebook  Twitter
Green Card Application Will not Jeopardize O-1 Status Extension

Hi William,

I am in O-1 status now, and plan to submit EB1 Extraordinary Ability application.
Will it jeopardize my ability to request to extend my O-1 status in the future?


O-1 is a non-immigrant visa category for aliens of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. This employment related visa allows qualified aliens to live and work in the United States. Significantly, under O-1 status, a foreign national can have “dual intent,” an intention which renders certain other types of non-immigrant status invalid.

“Dual intent” arises when a foreign national intends to immigrate to the US at some point, while presently maintaining non-immigrant status. Many types of legal nonimmigrant status require that the alien seeking and maintaining such classification have nonimmigrant intent, rather than immigrant intent. In other words, such aliens may not intend to remain permanently in the U.S. without jeopardizing their nonimmigrant status.

However, aliens under O-1 status are not subject to this requirement. Rather, they can legally maintain “dual intent.”Thus, an approved labor certification or a filed immigrant petition will not jeopardize one's O-1 status or ability to obtain an O-1 visa. It will also not jeopardize one’s ability to request to extend their O-1 status. Further, according to the Immigration and Nationality Act, an alien under O-1 status does not have to have a foreign residence which he or she has no intention of abandoning.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com