Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |    Facebook  Twitter
Can I Apply for O-1B Visa to Work for a Design Company?

Hi William,

I am an accomplished
costume designer with a B2 visa in US now. I can apply for O-1B visa to work for a design company in New York City?


An O-1B visa petition is for an alien of extraordinary ability in the arts entering the United States to work in his or her area of expertise. The "extraordinary ability" for purposes of the arts means a high level of achievement in the field, substantially above the ordinarily encountered.

With a well-crafted visa petition, seasoned or accomplished artists, those who have achieved sudden success, and even students prodigies who function at a level appropriate to O-1B status should qualify. For O-1B purposes, the definition of arts and artists are broad - any field of creative activity or endeavor such as fine arts, visual arts, culinary arts, and performing arts.

Aliens engaged in the field of arts include the principal creators, performers, and essential persons such as, directors, set designers, lighting designers, sound designers, choreographers, choreologists, conductors, orchestrators, coaches, arrangers, musical supervisors, costume designers, makeup artists, fight masters, stage technicians, and animal trainers.

Thus, "arts" is a term that encompasses a full range of people. Under this definition, artistic administrators, music teachers, vocal coaches, and many others who contribute to the creative process may qualify for O-1B status. Even a highly skilled craftsman, such as a stage technician who contributes to the creative process, may qualify also.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com