Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |    Facebook  Twitter
Do I Have To Be Government Employee to File a U.S. Agency Requested J-1 Waiver?

Hi William,

I am a J-1 visa holder and want to obtain an “agency request“ J-1 waiver. Do I have to be employed in a U.S. government agency to file the agency request J-1 waiver? and what are the other J-1 waiver options?


If a U.S. government agency believe that the J- visa exchange visitor's departure would be detrimental to a program or activity of interest to the U.S. government agency, it may request a J-1 waiver on behalf of the alien visitor. The J-1 exchange visitor can be employed by either a private employer or a U.S. government agency.

An J-1 visa holder object to the 2-year foreign residence requirement can file an J-1 waiver application on the following bases.

1) A J-1 waiver may be requested by a U.S. governmental agency on behalf of the J-1 visitor. It should be beneficial to the U.S. security interests, or to that of the public good.

2) A J-1 waiver may be obtained when the 2-year foreign residence requirement would result in exceptional hardship to the U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse or child.

3) If the J-1 visitor can show that he or she would be subject to persecution in the home country on the basis of race, religion, political opinion, nationality, or membership.

4) The J-1 visitor's home government issues a letter of “no objection “ to the exchange visitor's remaining in the United States. But a foreign medical graduates are not eligible for the “no objection“ J-1 waiver.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com