Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |    Facebook  Twitter
Do I Need to File Form I-485, Supplement J again for Job Change?

Hi William,

My Form I-485 application have been pending with USCIS for 180 days, can I change job based "same or similar occupational classifications for job portability under AC21"? and do I need to file Form I-485, Supplement J again?


If you have a pending Form I-485 application based on employment, you may be able to change the job on which your new job offer is in the same or a similar occupation, as the job offer for which the Form I-140 petition was filed.

For you to change the employer, your Form I-485 application must have been pending with USCIS for 180 days or more. You may request to “port” your job offer using the Form I-485, Supplement J, Confirmation of Bona Fide Job Offer or Request for Job Portability. The term “port” means to change the offer of employment from one job or employer to another job in a way that allows an applicant to remain eligible for a Green Card without having a new Form I-140 for the applicant. 

USCIS officers consider multiple factors when deciding if two jobs are in similar occupational classifications for job porting purposes. USCIS officers may compare factors including:
  • The job duties of both positions
  • The skills, experience, education, training, licenses or certifications specifically required to perform each job
  • The appropriate SOC code for the new position as identified on the I-485 Supplement J
  • The wages associated with each position

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com