Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |    Facebook  Twitter
How to Ask USCIS to Expedite Processing the Age-Out Form I-485 Application?

Hi William,

My family's Form I-485 Green Card application in still pending, but my son will turn 21 years of age next year. How to ask USCIS to expedite to process of age-out case?


The backlog of Green Card applications for adjustment of status and applications for immigration visas in consular processing makes otherwise eligible applicants miss an opportunity to adjust due to "age-out" issues. Therefore, USCIS haa implemented a policy of allowing individuals who are about to age-out to have their cases expedited.

The applicants are going to age out must take steps to inform the USCIS or U.S. overseas consulates, and ask for expedited processing of the applications. Otherwise, they risk losing the benefit they are seeking.

A child applicant or beneficiary, who is seeking adjustment of status or applying for immigration visa and who will turn 21 years of age within the next 20 months, usually must do the following to expedite their petitions:

  • Place a cover sheet on the application that states in bold lettering "Attn: AGE OUT (Date of Birthday)" by using a bright color marker. It will make immigration officers or consular officers aware that it is an "Age Out" case;
  • After filing, if the petitioners or beneficiaries have not heard from the USCIS six months prior to the child's 21st birthday, please contact the USCIS or U.S. overseas consulate again; 
  • If they have not received a notice for fingerprinting and adjustment appointment for the child, the petitioner or beneficiaries should contact the USCIS 60 days prior to the child's 21st birthday.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com