Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |    Facebook  Twitter
Can I Enter the U.S. with B Visa to Record DVD in a Studio?

Hi William,

As a
musician, can I enter the United States with B-1 or B-2 visa to record DVD in a studio, which will be sold in U.S. and over the world?


Under the USCIS regulation, one of the key issues is whether the musician or performing artist will be paid for his or her services in the United States. An B visa nonimmigrant may not receive a salary from a U.S. source for services rendered in connection with the activities in the United States. However, a U.S. source may provide an expense allowance or reimbursement for expenses incidental to the temporary stay.

If the artist will not be paid for an event or service, but the event for the musician or artist will charge an admission
fee or request a donation to attend the event, the general rule is that the alien
artist should apply for a P visa or an O-1 visa to perform in the United States.

The recording in a studio is generally considered a performance, the results of which would likely be an album, CD or other salable media, from which the performer will receive income such as royalties. Thus, the
alien artist should apply for a P visa or an O-1 visa also to record in the United States.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com