Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |    Facebook  Twitter
It Is Difficult for Me to Get Independent Reference Letters, What Can I Do?

Hi William,

I am work on my immigration petition. I can get some reference letters, but it is difficult for me to get independent reference letters. What can I do.


For EB1-
Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A), EB1-Outstanding Researcher & Professor (EB-1B), and National Interest Waiver (EB2 NIW) immigrant petitions, the independent reference letters (or recommendation letters) are preferred by the USCIS Immigration Officers.

But this kind of "inner circle" bias can be overcome by other documentation in a petition. For example, petitioners can submit articles they have published in noteworthy trade publications. Also, petitioners can show that their work has been cited nationally or internationally. Additionally, the fact that all the referees in a given petition are personally acquainted with the petitioner can be overcome by the notability of the referees. For example, some referees were researchers at world's leading medical research institutions.

For some pettitioners who are not able to solicit independent recommendation letters for their petitions, the alien applicants can obtain favorable manuscripts from the peer review process. Most scholarly journals put all articles through a peer review process before publication. Many of these journals maintain manuscripts from the peer review process. Peer review manuscripts represent the opinions of unbiased, anonymous observers of the author's research. If they comment favorably on the author's work, they are convincing evidence of the petitioner's accomplishments. In many cases, the USCIS immigration officers can be persuaded by peer review manuscripts.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com